Sunday, July 31, 2011

Along the Way

While I was in Omaha, Nebraska at the end of May and beginning of June, I spent a day at Winter Quarters, took a tour of the visitor's center, saw the special exhibit on the life of the Savior, wandered the cemetery, and spent an evening in the temple. It was humbling to stand in a place where so many people sacrificed both their old lives, families, and careers, and their mortal lives on the trek to establish Zion in the Salt Lake Valley.
I had many ancestors that crossed the plains and came through this very city on their way to join the Saints. I even spent one evening walking across a suspension bridge that spans the Missouri River to get a tiny inkling of the path they walked.
One of the most spiritual parts of the visit was a bronze sculpture exhibit of the life of Christ. I took some pictures, below. Enjoy!

The Winter Quarters Temple, just north of Omaha, Nebraska


A monument to the pioneers outside the Winter Quarters visitors' center




































No comments: